Home

A privy or outhouse was standard for most local buildings until the beginnings of Garland’s municipal water and sewer system in 1923.  Periodic cleaning was enforced after 1921 by the City Sanitation Officer, who did the job and billed the property owner if necessary.  Facilities like this one from the mid 1970s, upgraded with a concrete walk, survived for decades longer in outlying areas, but none is known to have been preserved.

 
Previous Image
Stop Slideshow
Start Slideshow
Refresh
Close Window